In the 8 regions where the we work:
- 84% live in poverty
- 41% live in extreme poverty
- 150,000 indigenous people in the Sierra Tarahumara. Groups: rarámuri, rarómari, tepehuans, and guarojíos or pimas.
Human Development Index
- 49.1% below the national average.
- Region of Batopilas has a HDI lower than that of Niger, the country with the lowest HDI in the world.
- Isolation and dispersion
- Depletion of natural resources
- Absence of governmental social programs
- No access to basic needs such as water, sufficient food, and health services.
- Subsistence agriculture: Local diet largely dependent on subsistence agriculture.
- Environmental degradation: Most communities are unable to produce enough food to meet their nutritional requirements due to the lack of fertile soil and water.
- Soils: Deforestation of entire forests and the ongoing exploitation of land that has devastated soils and made them unfit for cultivation.
- Water: Climate changes have led to severe droughts, and altered rain cycles, while human exploitation has dried up water sources.